Your entry door makes a huge impact on your house. Changing an entry door can change the overall look and feel of your home, impacting the value of your property. They protect the interior of your house from the weather and from potential crime. They also can help keep your home warm in the cooler months and cool in the warmer months. Your entry door plays many roles, so it’s important to pick one that is right for you.
But with all the different options available to you, you may find yourself stuck. From different styles to different materials, entry doors are very customizable. Here’s what you need to know about the most common materials and which one is best for you and what you want in an entry door.
This strong material is perhaps best suited to providing security to your home. Steel entry doors can be pricey or inexpensive, depending on who you go to. Here’s what you should know about their benefits and drawbacks.
- Low maintenance. Steel entry doors are very low maintenance. Generally, they just need touch-ups on their paint jobs, unless they get damaged.
- Secure and durable. As mentioned above, steel entry doors are the strongest and most durable option. They offer the most protection to your home and can last a long time. They’re very sturdy and can hold up to a lot.
- Aesthetic. A steel entry door lacks the same level of aesthetic appeal as a wood or fiberglass door.
- Potential damages. Steel can dent and rust and corrode. If they get dented, that allows a place for rusting. Dents can be hard to fix, leading to a more expensive repair job.
Nothing adds character to your house quite like a wooden entry door. Wooden doors are a classic option, but just because they’re classic doesn’t mean they are faultless.
- Durable. Wood doors are among the most durable of the options for entry doors, offering thermal protection against the elements.
- Customizable. Wood doors are very customizable. They can be carved, painted, varnished, and designed for many different looks, all of which give more character to your home than the other options.
- Maintenance. Wood doors are good at resisting damage, but they do require regular painting and varnishing in order to keep them looking their best. They can also get scratched easily.
- Cost. Wood entry doors are perhaps your most expensive option.
- Heavy. Because they’re made of wood, wood entry doors can be quite heavy to open and close, which can pose challenges to some people.
Glass entry doors are modern and versatile. They can mimic the look of other doors, which is both a pro and a con in and of itself.
- Low maintenance. Generally, fiberglass doors just need to be cleaned like any other glass surface – wiped down every now and then.
- Customizable. Fiberglass doors are relatively new, which means that they come in an array of designs and finishes. They can be made to look like real wood, they can be smooth, they are perhaps the more personalizable, looks-wise, of the entry doors. Whether you want a sleek modern vibe or to emulate a classic wood door, fiberglass doors can do it for you.
- Less pleasing than wood. Although a fiberglass entry door can look sleek and modern, it simply doesn’t look as expensive as a solid wood door does.
- Less sturdy. As you may expect with “glass” in the name, a fiberglass door can crack under enough impact. This makes it less sturdy than its wood or steel alternatives.
What Type Of Entry Door Is Best?
It depends on your wants and needs. As you can see, steel, wood, and fiberglass doors all have their benefits which could make any of them a stellar option for you. But they also all have their cons, some of which could be deal breakers for you. Now that you know more about these different types of entry doors, hopefully you are better educated on which one might be better suited to your requirements.
Are You Considering A New Entry Door?
Here at Peak Windows, our professionals are driven to provide you with the best options for you, personally. We offer an array of designs and materials for entry doors, and can help you decide on what look and function combination works best for you. To learn more about our entry doors or for any questions about any of our other services, please feel free to contact us at Peak Windows today!